Dual Looping Delay from 4ms Company, designed by 4ms and Gary Hall
The Dual Looping Delay (DLD) is an advanced audio processor for creative synthesis. Not a tape or analog emulation but a modern crystal-clear digital delay, the DLD combines features of delay, looping, and sample-tight synchronization for powerful and dynamic sound capture and modification. The DLD is designed to integrate seamlessly with modular timebase and sequencing devices such as the 4ms Quad Clock Distributor (QCD), etc.
What is a "Looping Delay"?
Modern looping devices grew directly from hardware digital delays of the late 70s and early 80s. A looping delay, modeled on units such as the classic Lexicon PCM42, has the very long storage times associated with dedicated looping, but without triggered record and playback functions.
By default, a looping delay records and plays continuously, though recording can be suspended at any time with Infinite Repeat. Sustain of delays and loops is mainly accomplished with regeneration, allowing an organic, evolving approach to sound creation as new material replaces old, more or less gradually. The 4ms Dual Looping Delay also provides advanced clock input and output facilities that allow for locking delayed and looped material with sequencers and rhythm devices of all descriptions.
- Two independent delay/loop channels, synchronized to a common time base
- Maximum 88 seconds per channel (almost 3 minutes total recording time)
- 48kHz/16-bit sampling rate
- Normaled connections of input and output for flexible use in mono, stereo, or dual mode
- Tap tempo button and clock Ping input
- Delay/loop time set as a number of musical beats (or fractions of beats) using the Time knob, switch, and CV jack
- Sample-accurate clock output for perfect synchronization
- Loop clock outputs for each channel
- Time switches change range of Time knob from 1/8th notes up to 32 bars
- Digital feedback, up to 110%
- Delay Level control, independent of dry/wet signal mix
- Infinite Hold mode disables recording input and fixes regeneration at exactly 100%
- Reverse mode plays memory contents backwards
- With an infinite loop locked, Time knob allows for "windowing" around memory
- Triggered toggle inputs for Infinite Hold and Reverse
- Send and Return on each channel for feedback with external modules
- CV jacks to control Time, Level, and Feedback
- As new features are developed, firmware can be updated by playing an audio file into the DLD
- 20HP Eurorack module